These Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are about to be your new favorite appetizer. Packed full of taste and flavor, you’re going to be chowing down on this simple recipe.
Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are basically the perfect fusion of American fast food and Chinese fast food in one. We love this recipe because they’re so easy to make (and cheap!! No ribeyes needed here, ground beef for the win!) and you can make enough for dinner tonight and then freeze an additional giant batch for the next three times you crave them!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 24 egg roll wrappers
- 12 slices American cheese
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook beef, breaking apart as little as possible, until browned and still the size of peas, 5 to 7 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir gently and remove mixture from pan.
- Melt butter in the skillet. Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Return beef mixture to the skillet and stir to combine. Let filling cool while preparing the wrappers.
- Lay egg roll wrappers on a flat surface. Place 1/2 a slice of American cheese onto each. Add 3 tablespoons of the filling on top of each egg roll. Pull the bottom left corner over the filling and fold the two sides in, moistening edges with water as you go; roll tightly.
- Heat about 1 inch oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 3 to 4 egg rolls at a time and fry until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining egg rolls.
Tips for the Best Philly Egg Rolls:
- Steak– Rib eye or flank steak can also be used. Even ground hamburger works. Cut your steak into bite sized pieces for easier eating and filling.
- Cheese– Trade out the Monterey jack with provolone slices, swiss or spice it up with pepper jack cheese.
- Peppers and Onions– Power up the color and use red, yellow or orange peppers, try using a red onion, chop them into bite sized pieces for easier eating.
- Wrappers– Don’t be nervous about folding your egg rolls. There are usually directions on the back of the package. Make sure you use a bit of water on the edges to seal them good.
- Sauce-These are ideal for dipping. There are endless possibilities. Try your favorite cheese sauce, Ranch Dressing, Horseradish sauce, or BBQ sauce.